Saturday 13 February 2010

February hills not budgets

Ben Lomond from Lime Craig

For the first time in twenty years, I had a February free from the frustrations and bickerings of the annual budget setting. And what a week, a high pressure had settled to the north east and the whole week was pitched below freezing but with crystal blue skies and still air - my favourite weather scheme. So each day at first light I sauntered through the oak woods behind the house and traced new routes to the tops of Lime Craig and Craig Mor. The views were simply stunning and the snow capped munros compassed the skyline - a veritable group photo of old friends.

My right leg was beginning to feel stronger again after the trauma of the trapped sciatic nerve and most days I managed to run for several hundred metres as well as making descents down the steepest slopes I could find. By 10:00am I was usually home with a copy of the Guardian and breakfast to look forward to. The only budget thoughts were watching the continued collapse of the equity markets in the face of the Greek budget deficit.

The rest of each day was spent preparing for my next work project, setting up a company and then an afternoon cycle ride or walk. I landed another 3 bits of work for my portfolio - none of which I had bid for, although 2 of them are unpaid but interesting assignments. I never knew that February could be so pleasant or quite appreciated what a beautiful place the hills and forest of Aberfoyle can be in winter. But then again I have seldom been here in February when it wasn't dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks