Friday 13 August 2010

Don't Worry, Be Happy

This morning was one of those days that just thrills you. The blue skies and light were so perfect at 7am that I thought I could see an eagle circling over the summit of Ben Lomond! It was decision time I had half promised myself a day on the hills, the Ben Dorain five by Bridge of Orchy or, on a day as good as this, go over to Garbh Bheinn in Ardgour. But with the wedding approaching and the plumber and tiler due on Monday, I had to strip the porch and bathroom and finish decorating a bedroom before the carpet fitter arrives next week. I went outside and felt the crisp early morning sun that makes you glow with happiness and saw a jogger patter past the house. That was the solution, a run and then some work on the house.

The run was going well, with each kilometre I felt the urge to push faster, the breathing was easy and by 5km I was ahead of my PB for the year and then the left calf tightened. I had no option other than to limp home from the most distant location on the trail. The tranquillity of the morning was stupefying and I forgot about the lost run and began to enjoy walking in the early morning, the sun angled in and lit up the forest and plants like a theatre set. The distant views had a clarity seldom seen and the clouds were straight out of the Simpsons. Then Bob Marley chipped in on my iPod with 'Don't Worry, Be Happy' and I was. I have now painted the ceiling and after lunch, I will be stripping the porch and I might join in if the sun persists.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks