Saturday 11 June 2011

Footabrough and Culswick

Kay's croft

Hill of Footabrough

My art from beachcombing

Voe of Footabrough

Thrift and Oyster Catcher

Clouds over Foula

Swinsi Taing

Coast at Culswick

Sotersta
Today was supposed to be a trip to the Fair Isles but for the third time, I was unlucky.  I had postponed a trip there last week to go instead with a friend today. Despite the best efforts of the Tingwall airfield supervisor, I was unable to get a seat because of the combined weight of six German bird spotters and their equipment who were ahead of us on the list. My friend got the last seat, she was the CEO of the Trust that runs the airline. I would have 5 hours to spare until the return flight brought back my friend so I headed west and discovered two remote coastal areas. They were both showcases of the quite amazing landscapes in this remote and wildsome land. The first was beyond Walls at Footabrough, where a friend's croft was located.  The second was at Culswick and Westerwick, famous as the home of the last indigenous sea eagles in Britain.

The day had lapsed into that in-between or moderate weather that is typical of Shetland when it is not blowing a gale: cloudy with a breeze, the occasional light shower, and a glazed dullness. It reflected my mood. I had planned to complete the Marilyns over the next couple of weeks and postponing the trip to Fair Isles had thrown out my plans. There would be few opportunities in the next month or so as most of the people I worked with would be away in July and early August. There could still be a chance in September but I may have finished work by then.

I headed to Footabrough first in the hope of catching a work friend but she was out so I rambled down to the Voe and spent half an hour beach combing on this very exposed inlet which faces southwest and is a depository for drift from the whole Atlantic and so it seemed. I constructed an assembly of items that had been left on the beach before climbing to the highest point and building a cairn. I watched the frantic movements of the bird population, which included being aggressively circled by several pairs of oystercatchers if only they had a more melodic calling. This was indeed another special place and just a short walk from the splendidly named and inspiring Bay of Deepdale.

This walk had taken an hour and a half so I headed back with a couple of hours to kill and took a detour to Westerwick and Culswick where I had a long walk along the cliffs at Culswick in the early afternoon rain. The cliffs and coastline were spectacular and the island of Foula, capped in clouds, was a distant attraction. The solitude and serene green landscapes were a perfect combination to soothe the disappointment of missing Fair Isle. There were sculpted features carved by the sea that Henry Moore could never have imagined and all set against a green baize maintained by the thousands of sheep that cultivate the landscapes here. I travelled back to another friend's house at Weisdale for coffee and then on to Tingwall to collect my friend. She had managed to get to Fair Isle and climb the Marilyn and the weather there had lived up to the name of the Isle. It's not fair!

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks