Thursday 2 February 2012

Cruach Ardrain


Cruach Ardrain from Beinn Tulaichean
Snow and Ice below Cruach Ardrain summit
Cruach Ardrain summit with Ben More and Stob Binnein behind
Beinn Tulaichean from Cruach Ardrain
Snow sculptures near the summit of Cruach Ardrain

Thursday 2 February 2012
Time:           4hrs 29mins
Ascent:        1170metres
Distance:     13km
        
Beinn Tulaichean    946m     1hr  52mins
Cruach Ardrain     1046m     2hrs 49mins

An anticyclone had edged in from eastern Europe and we were due some extremely cold but clear weather so it seemed a good idea to get up high and enjoy the views. Unfortunately, a band of low grey clouds had drifted in from the west and spoilt the forecasts.  I set out late to climb a couple of local munros and it was after midday before I started out from the car park at Inverlochlarig at the head of Balquidder Glen. The car park is an excellent facility that boasts a shelter and some useful information boards as well. It is a short walk from here to the Inverlochlarig farm, where you can purchase local venison. A track ascends the eponymous glen. After half a kilometre and having threaded my way through a docile herd of highland cattle I made a beeline for the summit of Beinn Tulaichean.

The snow was lying from 450 metres and it seemed a long slog up the uncompromising and steep slopes, this was not helped by soft snow lying on sheet ice on parts of the route. It was raw and freezing when I arrived at the summit and I needed to put on a third layer of clothing below my jacket. The views were non-existent when I arrived but sporadic thereafter. My water bottle was completely frozen but I had some coffee and a sandwich before deciding to attempt Cruach Ardrain, which could be glimpsed between the clouds. Time was not on my side but it would have been a bit risk-averse not to carry on despite the cold and low cloud.

The descent to the bealach above Coire Earb was easy going and so, surprisingly, was the 200-metre climb through deep snow which eventually curves around to Cruach Ardrain. I had expected that I would need to fit crampons and my hands were numb from eating and drinking on the exposed and bitterly cold summit, but this proved unnecessary.  It had become a pleasant walk and the summit was beckoning, as was a lone raven.

At the summit, I waited for the chance to see Ben More and Stob Binnein shed their cap of clouds but it was a forlorn hope so I turned and descended back to the bealach.  I had identified a route down to the glen whilst at the summit and it proved to be a real time-saver.  There were several sections higher up where I could slide down the snow and thereafter the soft snow lubricated each step as I found an optimal route down to the track in Inverlochlarig Glen. Whilst it was disappointing not to have had the day that was promised it had been a reasonably quick and easy walk in good winter conditions. I was back down before 5pm in the light, this will surprise some walking friends who believe I always finish my winter walks in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks