Sunday 12 August 2012

Inspiring an older generation


Q4 cyclist

Herb Elliot
King Bradley
Yes the Olympics have worked for me as they always have done since watching the Rome Olympics in 1960 and being inspired by middle distance runner Herb Elliot to take up running which has continued for over 50 years. Yesterday I switched allegiance to cycling in homage to Bradley Wiggins and took the road bike for a spin for the first time since April. I have recently fitted a cycle computer to measure distance and speed. The gears needed adjustment so I decided to take a flatter route rather than trust my workmanship over the Duke's pass and around Loch Katrine which is my usual route. 

A couple of miles out, having negotiated the potholes and jetpatcher drumlins leaving the village, I hit a rare section of smooth tarmac and I was cycling at 20mph with no discomfort. I was wearing a helmet and shades as well as cycle shorts and a cycling jersey for the first time, although it was a mars bar in my rear patch pocket not a gel (whatever that is!). A club cyclist acknowledged me and I overtook a tractor. My route included a road that was closed for bridge work but I pressed on thinking that I could carry the bike through the road works. There was no need the road men waved me through and then the district nurse pulled in to let me pass and she apologised for slowing me down. Cyclists are now the kings of the road thanks to Bradley and co. 

On the long smooth section of road into Arnprior I was pedalling at 23mph and it seemed easy, there was probably a tail wind. I had intended to stop after 10 or 12 miles and have a drink and my mars bar but that seemed a bit wimpish so I drank as I rode and replaced the bottle in the cage rather than throwing it to the passing crowds. There was no drop of pace over the 21 miles which I completed in a respectable 70 minutes, my mars bar had melted.  

Why had I not become a cyclist like Bradley? W
hen I was 32 I had better sideburns, enough hair to not need a crash helmet and my right leg was reinforced with 5 titanium screws. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks