Monday 20 April 2020

Flanders Moss - Raised Bog


Flanders Moss
Sunday 19 April, 2020

On another glorious day, I had to find a way of escaping the confines of the house for some exercise. The spell of weather that was forecast for the next four or five days would normally have me packing a tent and disappearing to the far north of Scotland to climb some of the remoter hills that I have still to climb. It would have been extreme social isolation with only myself for company.

As compensation, I decided to explore some more of Flanders Moss. The visitor area has been closed off by SNH but it only gives a 700-metre walk on a boardwalk. Instead, I cycled to the south of the Moss and followed the road to the airfield at Easter Poldar and then walked westwards alongside the meandering river Forth before entering the raised bog through some gates and sampling a walk across part of the Moss. The ground had been sun-dried, the straw-coloured grasses and mosses cushioned my footfall and allowed me to walk across a section of the Moss.

The raised bog sits about 4 metres higher than the surrounding agricultural land. There are copses of birch trees that punctuate the edge of the Moss and then just the humps of grass and spaghnum moss stretching to the agricultural land north of the Goodie Water. My hour of exercise was almost up so I returned to the bike and pedalled home, serenaded by the birdsong in the April sunshine. We are fortunate to have good air quality in this part of the world but the clarity of light has been exceptiional and the night skies are quite inspirational during these dark days of coronavirus.

The raised bog

And Quietly flows the Forth

Looking east from South Flanders

Invasive Birch at the edge of the Moss

Sphagnum mosses 

Looking west across the Moss to Ben Lomond

Bonsai Birch

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks