Tuesday 21 December 2010

Lake of Menteith - the Perfect Day


View from the Lake

Three rinks already, bring on the bonspiel

Hotel and Church but really testing depth of field


Bootonsnow font

Following ice skates over the blue forgotten lake

Ice magic

It was -12°C this morning, the water was frozen in the taps but the skies were blue for the winter solstice.  In January I had what I thought was a once in a lifetime experience of walking across the only Lake in Scotland.  Until a neighbour told me that there had been curling on the Lake of Menteith yesterday and this became the only objective for today. I decided to test my new camera on images of snow and ice.

I went into the Lake Hotel and the manager told me there was 6 inches of ice measured yesterday. They had prepared 3 curling rinks and there would be another inch or so of ice today. However going out on the frozen lake was my risk alone.  There was no one else braving the walk onto the ice so I stepped out slightly nervous at first but telling myself that if it could handle twenty or so curlers yesterday I should have no problem.  My new camera diverted my attention as I set off towards the centre of the lake taking photos in all directions and then returning by sliding, scribing my name in the snow for a photo and and then walking through the frozen reeds.  It was just perfect, not a whiff of wind, perfect hooloovoo blue skies and a layer of fresh powder snow to give some grip on the ice.  I had been privileged to have the beauty and serenity of the lake to myself.  As I was nearing the shore a photographer, having observed my safe return whilst standing on the jetty, joined me on the ice.  "The Perfect Day", he said and so it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks