Wednesday 19 October 2011

First Snow


Ben Lomond: the first snow

Oak woodland path

Behind the David Marshall Lodge

Go Ape

Ben Lomond behind Creag Mhor

Crianlarich Munros

Ben Ledi from Lime Craig

Descent from Lime Craig


After a couple of days finishing off some work projects, I went out and bought some new trail running shoes yesterday. I had planned a longer walk on some Corbetts today to test them out. The forecast was not inviting with gale force winds on the summits and sleet threatened so I did some more work instead until I was tempted out by the blue skies. Winter had arrived and, as I climbed the hill behind the house, Ben Lomond hove into view wearing a shawl of snow. It had been cold overnight with storms blowing in from the north west and plastering the upper slopes of the Scottish hills. I returned to my favourite local walk up Lime Craig with the contrasting terrain of oak woods, Forestry Commission plantings, open hillside, waterfalls, steep paths and glorious views. It was the first time for several months but I always prefer this walk in winter when conditions can change so quickly.

The new goretex trail shoes were comfortable and the exercise was vigorous. I even ran about a mile to add to the mile or so on the running machine yesterday when my running gait was analysed to determine the most appropriate shoes. It turned out that I had been buying the right sort of shoes for the last twenty five years which perhaps explains the lack of injuries over most of that period. Apparently I just need a bit more cushioning to protect the soles of my feet which have been hammered through running, hill walking, football, skiing and many other sports. I will be attempting my first run for a couple of months tomorrow now that the plantar fasciitis in my right foot seems to be healing. It is three months since I have been able to run although I was able to walk good distances whilst in Shetland. Now that my work there is almost finished and I am home it has made me realise how important and calming running has been since it became an almost daily form of exercise in 1983.

1 comment:

  1. Great shots of the first snow of the winter. Makes me feel chilly to see what I'm coming back to though!

    ReplyDelete

thanks