Saturday 10 December 2011

Solar Optimism

Cheaper than Slate
Scotland and sun are not obvious partners but my interest in sustainable energy and eternal optimism persuaded me to invest in solar panels.  What retirement savings I had left were losing 3% or 4% per annum in a savings account and with inflation remaining above 5% and no sign of the recession easing after the Chancellor's latest doomsday rant, I allowed the energy savings trust to convince us that solar panels would work.  I challenged every assumption much to the chagrin of the salesman before we arrived at an estimate of annual electricity generation far less than he would have calculated. Much to my surprise it would begin to give a rate of return within 6 years.  It did require the felling of half a dozen sycamore and lime trees in my neighbour's garden but I had wanted to do this for years and this was the excuse I needed.

November was the first full month of production and, with only 3 or 4 days when the sun made an appearance, we generated over 60kWh of electricity.  December is a different matter and so far we are still struggling to get more than a couple of kilowatt hours.  The panels were covered with snow for 2 or 3 days before the gales on Thursday and the snow has returned overnight.  However after the debacle in Brussels yesterday, I think even a ten year rate of return will still beat the savings rates in the UK by a sizeable margin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks