Sunday 4 May 2014

Beinn Fhada and A'Ghlas Bheinn

Beinn Fhada from A' Ghlas Bheinn

Primrose lining the burns

Spring greens in Dorusduain Wood

Looking north east from the Falls of Glomach path

A' Ghlas Bheinn from north east

Torridons from A' Ghlas Bheinn

A'Chralaig and Ciste Duibhe in distance

Beinn Fhada northern corrie with Five Sisters behind

Morvich and Loch Duich

Beinn Fhda pinnacles

Beinn Fhada summit

Beinn Fhada plateau with Skye in far distance

Friday, 2 May 2014
Ascent:   1680 metres
Distance:    23 kilometres
Time:           7 hours 42 minutes

A' Glas Bheinn   918m      3hrs   1min
Beinn Fhada      1032m     5hrs 35mins

The day broke as forecast, frosty and bright and, after an examination of the meteorological office mountain forecasts for individual hills, I decided to climb A' Ghlas Bheinn and Beinn Fhada at the head of Loch Duich. They are two massive hills hidden from the passing travellers by the Five Sisters. They were only half an hour drive from where I was staying at Braeintra on Lochcarron. I have climbed them together four times and they have always provided long hard days particularly when climbed with the Five Sisters and Four Brothers as a two day walk, which I have done in both directions with overnight camps below Ciste Dubh. I have always ascended A' Ghlas Bheinn from Bealach an Sgairne on the path from Strath Croe. There is a good if steep climb from here to the summit and I have either returned to the bealach or headed down the west ridge. Today I decided to climb A' Ghlas Bhenn from the north via the long path from Morvich to the Falls of Glomach via Bealach na Sroine.

I parked by the National Trust caravan site at Morvich and realised after I started the walk that this added 2 miles in both directions to the walk. I could have parked at Dorusduain in Strath Croe. The morning soon warmed up as I followed the track through the plantations and then turned eastwards for the steady climb to the bealach na Soine above the Falls of Glomach. I sat and deliberated whether to go down and visit the falls. A descent of 300 metres would have to be reversed before the final 400 metre slog up steep grassy slopes to A' Ghlas Bheinn. It would add an extra hour to the day and I had a report to write when I returned to the cottage. I decided it might be better to make this trip to the falls in the future by cycling up from Kilinan. 

I skirted round Meal Dubh and made for the outlying hill, Creag na Saobhie (818m). I found no signs of any path or route as I traversed across the wild and remote hillside.  There were quite a few deer grazing by some beautiful lochans and the views to the east were spectacular with the massive Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan standing guard over Lochan a' Bhealaich. The final climb to the summit was up a steep north facing rock strewn ramp and it was with some relief that I topped out and surveyed the panorama of glorious hills. I took ten minutes for lunch before launching myself into the midday heat and meandering down the steep path down to Bealach an Sgairne. A lone walker and then a couple were on their way up and I was complimented on my Rohan wind top that I had rescued from the cupboard under the stairs, a 20 year old bit of retro gear that really works. It was too cool for just a T shirt but too warm for a fleece or jacket.

At the bealach I had to decide whether to head up the slopes opposite to Meall a' Bhealaich, another 400 metres of unrelenting steep grass and rock, or to descend the path for a kilometre and so and then take the good stalkers' path up the impressive Coire an Sgairne to Beinn Fhada. Being older and wiser I took the latter route even though it meant dropping an extra hundred metres. It was probably just as quick, the gradient was steady and the full crenulated skyline of the north western ridge of Beinn Fhada  was tempting me as the return route to the glen. There were several feral goats grazing in the corrie.

The final 300 metres of climb is up a zig-zag path and then over the summit plateau to the cairn. There was no one else on the hill and the bright morning sunshine had given way to high cloud cover. I contemplated going down the western ridge but I had been warned by the single walker that there was a 20 foot bad step and I thought on my own it was more sensible (not a normal consideration) to return by the stalker's path. I made good time stopping just to top up on water and I walked out down the well graded path to Strath Croe. I was back at the car before 5pm. As always these hills had provided a good day and I drove back to Kyle of Lochalsh to buy some food and beer. The report could wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks