Monday 11 November 2019

Loch Lubnaig


It was -4°C as we set out for a pre-arranged run from Kilmahog to Loch Lubnaig. Hat and gloves were needed although we both had stuck to shorts. Gregor was intending to do 16 miles with a run to the far end and back. I had not been running for the last couple of months so felt 7 miles would be plenty and I could stop on the way back to saunter alongside the Leny Falls, which would be in full flow after recent rains. It is a steady incline for the first three miles up to the Stank, where the route up Ben Ledi starts. The metalled path was not too slippy despite the hard frost, the recent fall of oak leaves had been welded onto the surface of the path by Jack Frost.

I found the run surprisingly easy and I was delighted to see a large group of walkers including young children about to start the climb to Ben Ledi. This is what days like this should be used for. I continued to the holiday cabins at the foot of Loch Lubnaig and took some photos by the Loch. I had ascended 130 metres so the run back was a downhill doddle. I headed off from the path and through the birch and oak woods to get a close look at the Leny Falls. The river Teith was turbulent until the end of the narrow section below the falls when it became a placid wide river outlined by the crisp autumnal colours of the native forest.

It was just a mile back to Kilmahog where I had to wait twenty minutes in the car for Gregor to return. I felt elated even though the slow pace of the run had been insufficient to release many endorphins, maybe it was listening to Pienaar's Politics on the radio and the chocolate mini roll to engage my taste buds. Gregor meanwhile had managed to get another three crowns on Strava and seemed content given that he was suffering from a nasty cough.

Ben Ledi
Loch Lubnaig
Leny Falls
Below the falls
Turbulent Teith
Placid Teith

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks