Thursday 27 February 2020

A Taste of Winter

View from the top towards Ben Venue
The weather has been almost as miserable as the politics this year. After two months of perpetual rain, grey skies, regular storms of high winds and torrential rain, we were served a brief taste of winter this morning. The mercury had dropped and the hills were snow capped. I relished the return of winters as they used to be and set off for an early morning walk from Braeval. I had not been up Lime Craig for three months and in the early morning light the views were extensive. Ten minutes later I was in a heavy snow storm and within minutes the frozen ground was covered in an inch or so of soft snow. The snow was getting heavier and I briefly thought of turning back as I had only a worn out down jacket for protection. The lady who walks up Lime Craig every day with her two dogs appeared out of the snow on her way down. She was snuggled in a fur hooded jacket but exhibited her usual good cheer. She had seen the storm approaching and thought it would quickly pass.

Another ten minutes and I made the summit, the snow had passed and blue skies had magically appeared. Had I run up this morning it would have been my 200th run up Lime Craig but that will have to wait. I made a descent by the same route, the footsteps of the woman and her dogs had  been obliterated by the snow. My footprints were deep and the snow allowed a fast walk back to Braeval. I dropped below the snow level at 100 metres. It was warm in the sun and another three groups were starting out on the climb. Winter was over, it is more wind and rain this weekend.


The track from Braeval



Summit ahead
Ben Ledi in cloud

Scots Pine

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks