Friday 20 March 2020

Social Distancing on Ben Ledi


Ben Ledi summit
Ascent:      835 metres
Distance:   6 kilometres
Time:         2 hours 26 minutes

c    Ben Ledi    879m     1hr 26mins

It had been a strange few days, Boris Johnson had finally realised that being PM wasn't just for Brexit. He had finally taken some decisions on the pandemic, making sure that any future blame would be shunted onto his experts. These measures could and should have been taken several weeks ago. As an over 70. or as a friend emailed me yesterday "a fellow coffin dodger", I was already practising social distancing. The government had issued a list of things to avoid, most of which were self-evident and already carried out by most responsible adults. However, these cautionary measures are too readily trumped by the indiscretions of those of a selfish disposition. Their attitudes are reinforced by marketing strategies for many products and services that encourage their entitlement to flaunt their apparent success. The popular press exploits this ambition in their reporting of celebrity, it garners more readers than celebrating any sense of social responsibility.

I had spent the day in the garden, digging, planting and path building and was feeling tired. I checked the Met Office forecast that said we were to get clear skies and excellent visibility by 6pm. So Gregor and I set out for a late evening scurry up Ben Ledi. It was 4:35pm before I started walking the hill, I had dropped Gregor at Callander so he could run the 4 miles to the start of the ascent.

The hill was deserted until I reached 500 metres when two young women were descending the path. They were mature students from Glasgow, one German and one Portuguese. I was keen to keep a good social distance but they seemed anxious to talk. After being told it was a bit late to be heading up the hill, they let loose their feelings about the UK's feeble response to coronavirus. The Portuguese girl explaining that her country was notorious for being laid back but they had taken prompt and strong action to prevent the spread of coronavirus and she was proud of them. The German girl explained how many German cities had been closed down and there had been extensive testing to prevent the spread of the virus. They asked why did the UK always think it could stumble through things? I agreed.

Gregor caught me at 700 metres and continued his run over Ben Ledi with a descent to the north. The snow level was at 700 metres but it was freezing over as the sun dropped in the west so there was a reassuring grip when climbing the snow slopes. I was beguiled by the spectacular evening light at the summit. It was crystal clear to the west but moody clouds were hanging over Ben Lawers and hills to the north. Ben Ledi is a hill that I have been up more than any other, but I had been surprised at the amount of new path building since my last visit in the dark five years ago. I spent 10 minutes admiring the views and picking out all the landmarks that have been the staging points of my life for the past 40 years. Life was good and if social distancing means more of this, then bring it on.

Approaching the summit
Callander and the Ochils
Looking north-west to the Ben More group
North Ridge
Beinn Each to the northeast
Ben Ledi memorial 
Sunset over the Arrochar Alps

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks