Thursday 13 August 2020

Beinn a' Bhathaich Ard, Strathfarrar

The view of Beinn a' Bnathaich Ard from near the start at Inchmore

Monday, 10 August 2020

Ascent:             872 metres
Distance:          15 kilometres
Time:                5 hours 19 minutes

Beinn a' Bhathaich Ard     862m   3hrs 14mins

I had arrived at the gatehouse at Inchmore in Strathfarrar by 11:30am, slightly later than I had hoped. On a hot, muggy day and over unforgiving terrain, I knew the next climb would be hard going. I envied the couple who parked next to me with their bikes for a leisurely pedal up the beautiful Glen Strathfarrar and told them so. They agreed and said they could think of nothing worse than climbing a largely pathless Corbett. I tidied up the car following my early morning scarper from the midges, had something to eat and drink, changed my shoes and studied the route ahead. I suspected that this would take over 5 hours in the conditions and decided to take it at an easy pace after the two tiring walks in the last 24 hours.

I had intended to climb this hill with John and Mark four years ago but after a two day round of the Carn Eighe and Mullardoch group of hills, my feet had been too sore, so for only the second time in thirty years of hill walking, I had pulled out of a climb. The other occasion was more justifiable, gale force winds on the Skye Ridge. The start from the Milton cottage gatehouse is complicated through a series of gates and around the farm opposite but after five minutes I was on a reasonable path to Loch na Beiste, the source of water supply for Inchmore judging by the water pipe. The ascent was at an easy grade but looking ahead at the distant Beinn a' Bhathaich Ard that is reached by a long ridge from the northeast, it was going to be a couple of hours walking. I decided to have lunch on a rocky outcrop.

After continuing the climb to 520 metres the path had dribbled out and I thought that climbing Carn na Gabhalach, the easterly top, of would probably add more time. Although it would be good to reach the ridge, there were two more intervening tops before reaching the summit so I decided to cut a corner and struck a course for the bealach. It was perhaps a mistake, the deep heather slowed me down but I was keen to top up with some water and there was a burn ahead. It was a plod and I had to suffer both the afternoon heatwave and dozens of flies circling me for the ascent. On reaching the ridge it was a eureka moment, the slight breeze removed the flies, the grass was short and the going easy. It became a pleasant walk over the tops to Beinn a' Bhathaich Ard. A trig point and untidy cairn provided a suitable rest place for a drink and an orange. The views were slightly hazy but otherwise, conditions were perfect.

I looked at the descent, southwards at first and then south-west to reach the path or track that runs alongside the Neaty Burn. I found the grooves of an eight-track vehicle that made for a good speedy route down despite several boggy sections. It eventually emerged onto the new and well-made gravel track at 400 metres that is not yet on the OS map. It was 4 kilometres down to the Couligran Hydro Power Station and then a serene walk alongside the River Farrar. Salmon were leaping and house martins feeding over the fast-flowing waters. It was summer at its best, the silage had been cut and stacked in the field opposite Milton cottage. Covid notices were on display at the gatehouse to Strathfarrar but opening hours to access the glen were back to normal and several cars were taking advantage of the 8pm closing to enjoy the sublime tranquillity of Strathfarrar.

I was pleased to have managed the three Corbetts since driving up on the previous morning, it was the sort of outing that has been a staple over the past thirty years but I had worried whether I could manage it after the lockdown with my fitness level doubtful but as John says, I do have a tendency to be thole on these occasions. The drive back through Glen Glas and then down the A9 was a relative pleasure and I was home for 9pm.


From Loch na Beiste

From the ridge running from Sgurr a' Phollain

Looking north-west to Strathconon and the `Fannaichs

Summit

Culligran Hydro Power Station

River Farrar at Culligran

Bailing at Inchmore

Milton cottage, gatehouse to Strathfarrar


No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks