Sunday 11 April 2021

No Sunday Paper

Ben Ledi

Sunday is normally the only day I buy a newspaper nowadays. After two days of the news and with virtually all TV programmes focused on the life of the Duke of Edinburgh and having scanned the papers online, I decided against wading through more of the same. I would give the Sunday paper a miss and go for a walk instead. It was well below freezing for the third morning running and there was not of a whiff of cloud so I drove the 4 miles north and climbed Ben Gullipen. 

I must have been disillusioned by the overload of news because for the first time since lockdown, I took some earphones and listened to an old playlist. There was no one else on the hill, highly unusual given that the clarity of the views was as good as I could remember. The upper part of the track was frozen hard but the morning sun gave an illusion of warmth despite the sub-freezing air temperature. 

I made it up in under 30 minutes, pottered around for ten minutes before starting the trek down, running most of the way. Two couples were full of smiles as they headed up. On days like this, Ben Gullipen is a good alternative to Lime Craig. Did I miss the Sunday Paper? No, not really, for the first time in years I can hardly be bothered with the news it is so depressing with Brexit, Covid, a tedious election campaign in Scotland and yet more corruption scandals in government, the UK is really going to the dogs. It is too depressing to pay money to read about all these blunders and the squabbles about the arrangements for  the Duke's funeral.

Loch Venachar

Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorlich

Frozen hard

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks