Wednesday 19 April 2023

COVID Calling

Well, I managed over 3 years without catching COVID but it eventually caught up with me last week. We had been extremely careful in 2020, staying at home and visiting supermarkets at quiet times. It was not until the summer of 2021 that we ventured into more sociable environments. In 2022, encouraged by the protection of 3 vaccines we began to live a more normal life. Even on a busy Ryanair flight to France, we were in a small minority wearing masks and on visits to Nimes, Avignon and other towns and villages, we stayed clear of busy places and managed to escape Covid. 

When Aileen was in the hospital and during the time we cared for her at home, we were especially careful, limiting visitors to her immediate family and close friends. Since the funeral, I have made a trip to London by train but otherwise kept a low profile as I attempt to come to terms with life without Aileen. I decided to join some old work colleagues for lunch in Glasgow. I travelled by the excellent new Ember electric bus service and used the crowded Underground to get back from the west end to the bus station. I guess it was somewhere in these interactions that COVID called.

Three days later, I felt quite ill on Monday with overwhelming tiredness, a cold and a barking cough, I took a test that was negative. The next day after coughing my way through a sleepless night, I tested positive. I was not hungry and lacked any energy. Unusually, I sought refuge in front of the television and over the next three days watched all three series of Ted Lasso, the Apple series about AFC Richmond, a Premier League team owned by a glamorous owner, played by Hannah Waddingham, who appoints an American rookie coach, Ted Lasso. As the series gained huge popularity, the number of cameo appearances by football legends and the use of real stadiums added an extra layer of humour. There is very little football shown, it's all about relationships and vacuous behaviour. But that's Premier League football, all hanging about, gossip, money and bluster.

 Ted Lasso with cap and AFC Richmond cast

Recovery is taking longer than expected, I tested negative after six days so decided to take myself up my regular morning hill at a near-normal pace I spent the rest of the day aching and dozing off. I was told by friends that it had taken three weeks before they felt recovered. After two weeks, I tried again and felt ok. Tomorrow the sun is shining and the weather is sweet so I intend to move my dancing feet up an easy Munro. Let's see.


No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks