Thursday 31 August 2023

Chasing best times

Loch Venachar, Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorlich from Ben Gullipen

Over the summer I have made Ben Gullipen my regular morning exercise, the views from the summit are terrific on clear mornings. I pace walk up the 254-metre climb, running the less steep sections, admire the view and catch my breath before running down the steep and twisty track. It has been a few years since I have been chasing personal best (PB) times but old habits die hard. 

Today, I managed a new PB on the 2.5-kilometre ascent, 26:25, beating three previous PBS achieved in August. Unless I can force myself to run the whole route, which would be difficult with several sections of gradient of more than 20%, I am not sure that this will be possible. It was more surprising because I had carried my phone that was bouncing about in the pocket of my flimsy wind top to take photos on the first clear morning for a long time. I had broken my descent time earlier in the week, 12:34, but could not match it today.

Loch Venachar and Ben Ledi

Looking north with Ben Ledi and Beinn Each

Menteith Hills, Lochan Balloch and Ben Lomond

The Campsies and Lake of Menteith 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks