Sunday 31 December 2023

Festive Days

Loch Katrine

Christmas and the festive season were looming in December and I had mixed feelings. Aileen always loved Christmas and took great joy in preparing meals, decorating the house, buying presents for loved ones and organising visits from friends and family. I loved being part of this but also saw it as a time to forget work and get out into the hills for a couple of days. This year I was going to my son's new house for Christmas Day with the family. It was dull and wet but I bubbled through, the champagne probably helped. Gregor and Emily announced their engagement and we celebrated with some of her family.

Boxing Day was winter at its best and we had a long walk along the shore of Loch Katrine, the glorious Victorian construct to provide Glasgow with drinking water and the rest of the world with the product of innovative engineering and a model for municipal well-being. 

After two more dull wet days, there was a brief flash of sunshine at the end of the week. I took the opportunity to have a long walk over Lime Craig and a run down along the forest trails. The next day brought a steady snowfall,  I was on my own drifting towards Hogmanay. I had no plans and contented myself with a walk around my old running routes along the River Forth and into Easter Park. I had intended to run 8km but with the temperature at -4°C, it was too cold to keep going for long. It prompted me to resolve to get back into some running in the New Year.

Lime Craig

Snowfall

River Forth at Braeval

Old running route

Easter Park

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks