Monday 3 May 2010

Meall Na Fearna


 Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorlich from Meall na Fearna

Looking back to Loch Earn

Monday 3 May 2010
Ascent:      785 metres, 
Distance    11 kilometres
Time:         3 hours 40 minutes

Meall na Fearna    809 metres     2 hours 25 minutes

I was feeling jaded and beginning to panic over the GR20 trip to Corsica in June.  Normally I would have half a dozen longish walks in the bag by this time of the year but so far I had managed only two modest walks and hardly any runs although my back is at last beginning to feel less of a hindrance when walking. I thought a short outing on a nearby Corbett might jolt me into further action and contacted John who was up for a long weekend having just retired.  It was 11:00am before we arrived at Ardvorlich House on the road south of Loch Earn. I met and had a chat with John Lambert, an old colleague from KPMG, at the start of the climb to Ben Vorlich. He was with some of his family on a bank holiday Monday and it made me realise that I no longer lived within the constraints of public holidays.

John had brought Bridget for the first part of the walk and he explained to her that this sort of meeting with acquaintances happens all the time when we go walking. A new track was being laid up the glen so I went over and spoke to the site engineer. He told us that 3 dams were being constructed to produce 750kW of electricity as a private project commissioned by Ardvorlich House.

Further up the glen, we met an archaeologist, who was identifying the sheilings and explained the nature of her work. Bridget realised that this was more of a documentary than a walk but we were learning a great deal about the history of the glen and the future potential. As we started the steep climb, Bridget decided to forego the climb to Beinn Domhnuill. We made the summit and then meandered our way over the jumble of peat hags and up the final slope of Meall na Fearna.

We found a grassy hollow at the summit and sheltered from the cold northerly wind for some refreshments.  There were good views of Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin to the west and south-eastwards down the Forth Valley to the chemical plants at Grangemouth.  We set out on the return and it was easy going despite the wind and there were no interruptions. The walk had been just what I needed, I seemed to be in transition and regaining my appetite for hill walking. In the dying days of New Labour, this may be just what I need to evade the wrecking ball that will be released on the public by Cameron, Osborne, Gove and Pickles if they end up in government next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks