Tuesday 25 May 2010

When I think about Running

The start - Ben Lomond from Bridge over Forth
Braeval and Bluebell glades

Track along the Forth by Lemmahamish
Above Lochan Spling

Wildlife - a rusting Dragonfly in Lochan Spling
Trail along the Duchray

Craig Mor from the Duchray

Some years ago a Japanese author wrote a book 'What I talk about when I talk about running.' Although I plead guilty to sharing Haruki Murakami's obsession with running over the past 30 years, I think about it a lot more than I talk about it - running does not make easy listening for the non runner. I have had to miss it recently but I am now back into regular running. I went round my regular 12 kilometre circular trail around Aberfoyle today and took photos of the route that I am privileged to have as my home run. I have been doing this route for about seven years since two new footbridges were constructed across the Forth and Duchray rivers by the Forestry Commission. It allows an infinite number of circuits and eliminates the out and back runs that can take the edge off a run even in surroundings as good as these.

The trail provides everything: stunning views, quiet meanders through the forest, lochans, two rivers, a sharp hill with a view of the loch, and a mile of quiet road at the end to complete the run. There is a vista of Ben Lomond and the chance of seeing buzzards, osprey, deer, red squirrels, red kite, adders, frogs and the occasional person - usually on a bike or with a dog. As an escape to think about other things it is the ideal environment to think. Dozens of ideas have been dreamt up, talks composed and reports constructed in these surroundings. As exercise goes it is as good as it gets, within an hour you can resolve most problems and relinquish any hostile thoughts. The endorphins are released, the mind is sharpened and the sleep is easy.


Home straight






































Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks