Sunday 30 May 2021

Meallan a' Chuill

Meallan a' Chuail from north

Saturday, 29 May 2021

Ascent:       195 metres
Distance:     7 kilometres
Time:           2 hours 10 minutes

Meallan a' Chuail       750m   34mins

I was awakened at 4am by the sun and the calling of the golden plovers as they circled the tent and then dozed until 5am when I decided to make an early start. Despite a dry night, it had been coldish, 4°C, and there was condensation on the tent. I ate a roll and an orange before packing and starting to walk at 5:45am. The light was perfect and a temperature inversion had filled the glens with cloud to a level of 500 metres. Although the lack of comfort in a small tent has become more noticeable in recent years, the pure beauty of mornings like this with the magnificent Sutherland peaks emerging from the blanket of cloud makes it a worthwhile sacrifice. The rucksack seemed heavier with the wet tent but the steady climb to the nearby Graham was no bother, I spent much of the time taking photos.

Meallan a' Chuail is a really fine mountain.  I sat at the summit for a while imbibing the views, the birdsong, the last of my water and the clarity of the air. The descent was enjoyable over some rocky ground whilst watching the cotton wool clouds sink slowly into the glens. I almost stepped on a Ptarmigan that was sitting on a nest with seven eggs, The mother gave me a rendition of a broken wing routine and circled back to the nest as soon as I had moved on. 

It was a far easier route down than the diabolical ascent of yesterday with no peat hags or contouring required. When I eventually reached the path, I decided to give the second Graham, Meall an Fheir Loch, a miss. As I headed down to the car, the cloud was finally disappearing. I changed shoes, grabbed some food from the boot and began the drive to Dundonnell. there would be time to climb Creag Rainich and get home in time for the European Champions League Final.

A 5am shot of Beinn Leoid from the tent

Looking north from Meallan a' Chuail

Ben More Assynt above the cloud

Am I really here?

Looking back to Beinn Leoid


Descending from Meallan a' Chuail

Heading down Meallan a' Chuail, Ben Stack prominent

Ptarmigan's nest at 650 metres

Loch More and Arkle

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks