Sunday 25 October 2020

Beinn Fhada

Beinn Fhada summit


Thursday, 22 October 2020

Ascent:       1015 metres
Distance:    14 kilometres
Time:          4 hours 43 minutes

Beinn Fhada   1029m      2hrs 43mins

It was another day of October rain with the cloud level down to 600 metres. I had originally intended to cycle 22 kilometres up Glen Elchaig from Kililan to climb the distant Corbett, Aonach Buidhe but 6 hours in the rain did not appeal. We looked at the alternatives and Gregor decided to climb A' Ghlas Bheinn and Beinn Fhada. At the last minute, I decided to join him but as I was not feeling great, I decided to restrict my climb to Beinn Fhada so that Gregor could charge round at his own pace. We parked at the car park for the Falls of Glomach at 11:30 am and followed the narrow but well-graded path up Gleann Choinneachain. 

After the first couple of kilometres ascent I suggested that Gregor should climb A' Ghlas Bheinn first, it looked to be emerging from the clouds and it would allow me to adopt a more sedate pace on the longer climb up Beinn Fhada. All being well, I could have a break at the summit before he arrived. He was in trail shoes and travelling light, I had boots and after the first hour, it was full waterproofs. The burns were in full spate but with the aid of a walking pole, I managed across the Allt a' Choire Chaoil with dry feet. Gregor was ten minutes ahead heading for Bealach an Sgairne for the ascent of A' Ghlas Bheinn.

The path from here is well-graded and contours upwards in Coire an Sgairne before rising more steeply over two sections to reach the ridge at 750 metres. The rains had started and the cloud level dropped down to 500 metres. From here it is a boggy tramp of a mile or so to the summit located on the less exciting east end of the mountain. I had managed a steady pace and it was just after 2pm. It was quite warm and the wind was less than forecast so I settled down in the substantial shelter and spent twenty minutes of mindfulness, whatever that is, whilst eating and drinking a little. 

There was no rush and I had descended about 150 metres before I met Gregor on his ascent. He told me to push on and that he would set off back straightaway from the summit. I did apart from a couple of stops for photos and I got back to within the last half kilometre before he caught up and ran past me. We were both quite pleased with the outing despite the rain and generally poor visibility and to be back at the house before 5 pm was a further luxury.


The path below Allt a' Choire Chaoil


Allt a' Choire Chaoil crossing

Looking back down Gleann Choinneachain

A' Ghlas Bheinn and Bealach an Sgairne

Coire an Sgairine path

Faradh Nighean Fhearchair


No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks