Saturday 24 October 2020

Beinn Loinne (Cluanie)

The walk up Beinn Loinne

Tuesday, 20 October 2020

Ascent:        607 metres
Distance:    19 kilometres (11km on bike)
Time:           3 hours 26 minutes

Beinn Loinne        789m     2hrs 11mins (45mins on bike)

It was another wet day in Lochcarron, Aileen, Gregor and I had driven over to Shieldaig in the morning and had a walk in the rain on the peninsula north of the village. We were back at Lochcarron at 1:30pm and after a quick lunch, I put the bike on the car's roof and set off for Cluanie to climb Beinn Loinne, the Corbett south of Loch Cluanie. I had always intended to climb it when either travelling north for a few days walking or on the return. I had assumed it would take less than 3 hours, which might have been twenty years ago. It took 40 minutes to reach the Cluanie Inn and I parked at the start of the track, which is a private road to Cluanie Lodge. It continues as a disused track that ascends a bealach at 410 metres between Creag a' Mhaim, the most easterly of the Cluanie ridge Munros, and Beinn Loinne. 

It was dry for the first time in days and a wintry-looking sun was emerging as I set off on the bike. The rough road surface and over 200 metres of ascent did not make for an easy cycle, although for the only time in the day, the views opened up and even a couple of stags seemed intent on taking in their domain. They provided some photo opportunities and a welcome chance to stop pedalling for a few minutes. I rode a few hundred metres beyond the high point of the road so that I could take advantage of a slight ridge that was preferable to starting the walk through a rain-soaked bog, it was worth the extra distance. The views back down Glen Shiel and northwards to Ciste Dubh and A' Chralaig were a bonus after the last couple of days when the hills had been wrapped in low grey clouds. The underfoot conditions were dire but that had been factored in so my expectations of a mind-numbing ascent were confirmed.

I headed for the rounded shoulder of Druim nan Cnamh and only when above 650 metres did the terrain become drier with a scattering of exposed rock giving better traction. By this time the cloud level had dropped and there were no views from the summit. There was just a desolate-looking Vanessa trig point on a rock ledge over a sea of grey nothingness. 

The rain started as I began the descent, the main aim was to get back to the bike before nightfall. The clouds made navigation tricky and, in attempting to avoid the worst of the bogs, I ended up about 800 metres south of where I had dumped the bike. I was glad I had worn my cycle helmet because the ride back was all downhill with the brakes constantly in use as I fought gravity, potholes and bad light. I arrived at the car at 6:30pm, having barely turned a pedal but with arms and hands burning from the constant pummeling from the front suspension. It was dark and still raining but with only a 40-minute drive for a shower and some food, this was a rare treat compared to most outings on the hills.


Stag above Loch Cluanie

Looking east over Loch Cluanie

Aonach Meadhoin and Am Bathach from the track

Am Bathach and A'Chralaig

Beinn Loinne summit

 








No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks