Tuesday 6 October 2020

Ben Gullipen, again and again

Rainbows over Kilmahog

As the year begins to peter out, I made a visit to Ben Gullipen yesterday during a spectacular rainbow fest. It prompted me to post some photos from the early summer when it was a beacon of inspiration during the first lockdown. Ben Gullipen is the nearest hill to home and during a year when trips longer than 5 miles were ruled out until July and we have not been allowed to leave the Council area since late October, it has become an essential place for exercise. It is a five-mile drive away and during May, Gregor and I would go every few days until he captured the Strava record for its ascent and I managed to rupture some part of my knee when running down. 

Since June, I have used it a couple of times a week to slowly recover some leg strength. It is well frequented with walkers, runners, cyclists - although the majority of cyclists are on electric bikes. As a spot to observe the highlands and the backyard of my life it is perfect. I have walked it with Aileen, old work colleagues but most often alone, it has been a means of escape from the house and chance to let thoughts and memories sweep me along. It takes just an hour on most days unless the sun is out and I dither about looking over Loch Venachar to the hills or I decide to explore other routes or batter through the heather to the adjacent hill, Beinn Dearg. 

The price of mobile technology

Loch Venachar and Ben Ledi

Loch Venachar with Ben Venue top left

Beinn Dearg and Lochan Balloch

Rain approaching

Loch Venachar dam and rainbows 


No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks